Monday, March 2, 2009

Forget February! It's MARCH!

Okay, okay, I missed February's posting - I meant to "get a round tuit" but didn't. It was an exciting month and March is following it's example. I'll try to make up for missing it!
The Talent Pools are all burbling with activity on this Robotics and Design Unit. Of course, there were a few set-backs - some students didn't quite understand that when I said "I want you to write down the design steps" that it meant WRITE DOWN the design steps. When a group/team tells me they have completed a project I ask them to sit down with me and share their journals. For each activity they should have a tab and then they should start with 1. Identify the Problem. I had a couple of journals that were shared without even a Title!! of their projects. Au Contrare! I believe I'm identifying a problem here... that what they are working on producing is haphazard, can be done in a slapdash manner, and doesn't have any rules. WRONG!! I will not allow the team to go on to the next activity without satisfying my criteria. Title. Identify the Problem (some projects identify the problem for them!). Then 2. Brainstorm (& research - you can get some good ideas through research!!), LISTEN to each other and WRITE THE IDEAS DOWN! Even if you don't like a particular idea, take the time to write it down, it may lead, later, to a better idea. Draw pictures. LABEL the pictures! I tell these junior engineers that by writing all this down & drawing pictures together they make sure that they are all on the same page, talking about the same thing, coming up with a common goal. 3. Design what your best idea should look like (I want 3 designs so your team has a choice), label the parts of your design. (I figure I've been saying this to my classes for two months now, now I'm saying it to you, the parents) 4. Build your best design using materials that the team provides. If you don't have the materials, what will you do in my class? 5. Test your design, sometimes the test is provided for them, sometimes they have to devise their own tests (WRITTEN, if you please! Charts are fine!!). I suggest that they try a test at least 3 times, so they can take an average or know that it's not just an "oops" before they try to change anything. Keep records!! So you can 6. Evaluate What went well? What didn't? How far, how fast, how high? Problem solve! If a prototype boat sinks...if a paper table falls over....if a vehicle veers to the left, figure out why, fix it and try again! 7. Redesign, if necessary, then try, try again.
Yes. I am being as hard as possible. Some students couldn't wait to create a "balloon car". Problem (not provided for them): Create a vehicle that will travel at least ____ feet using a balloon. I provided all kinds of information on Newton's Laws, photos from the Internet of ooodles of ideas for balloon cars. I believe my 5th grade would still be playing with the balloons if I hadn't said "Enough." We have videos and photos of some of the test runs that you will be able to see at the Share Fair in May. I love the fact that the tiles on the floors are one foot square, it makes measuring how far so much easier!
I have told the students that while I'm glad they like these projects, the projects are not MY prime concern. My goals for this unit are 1. To learn/use the design steps (on paper, in their journals, to solve problems), 2. To be responsible - responsible for the Lego Kits they are using (I have a baggy of parts found on the floor...), responsible for bringing in their share of the materials needed for their projects, and responsible for their behavior in the group and in my room. 3. To learn to work in a group. When we started they decided that they wanted to keep the same group throughout this unit. They chose one person in their group to be "Captain", this is the person who cheerleads the group, keeps the projects flowing, is responsible for the Legos and cleaning up after each class (not that they have to DO it all, they are the ones I am relying on), etc. However, after almost two months of togetherness, working as a group was getting to be so difficult (or that other groups' projects looked like more fun) that a couple of students asked if they could change groups. A discussion of What Does a Team Look Like?, How Does YOUR Team Look?, What Can YOU do about It? has helped. I have given the teams the option to change "Captains", if they want (but I'm not making more business cards!). I do feel that our Talent Pool Group Problems have strengthened the attainment of my goals and, however much the students may complain, they are learning how to problem solve.
Anyway, PI DAY is coming up! Since the numerals in Pi are 3.14, Pi Day is held every year on March (3rd month) 14th. Shakespeare obviously missed his chance to quoth, "Beware the Pi of March!" Since March 14 is a Saturday this year, we are celebrating on Monday, March 9, during the Altamath Team time (8:15-9). BTW, the 16 fifth grade students on the Altamath team are competing this Saturday, March 7, so good luck to them all!! The competition is also held for 6th and 7th graders as well, so encourage your 4th & 5th grade students to try out next year!
March is the last month in the Mini-Courses on Building Big that I've been offering to 1 & 2 & 3's. I'm also seeing some fourth graders for an independent project who decided it looked like fun. This month the topic is Skyscrapers! So we'll see what occurs! The PBS series is based on the book Building Big by David Macaulay and investigates the history, engineering, and building of Tunnels, Dams, Domes, Bridges, and Skyscrapers. You & your child can participate on-line at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/. I hope you've seen some of the videos of these mini-courses!
There are 3 R2D2's taking shape in my room. This is an independent project near and dear to the hearts of three "Robo-Boys" from Ms. Corgill's class. I'll post photos soon. Another independent project is a "Go-To Box" on Disasters being put together (for others to go to) by a team of students who see me on Tuesdays.
Friday afternoons are taken up with Celebrate Science, a competition for student science exhibitors for the McWane Center. They are SMART foxes - McWane is looking for science stuff that will appeal to students so who better to devise a new exhibit than students?? Our team took 3rd place last year so we are pumped this year! We have a GREAT idea, we think, so everyone is working diligently on creating the reasearch for and the building of our prototype, due to be judged at McWane in early May.
I'm sure there is more but it'll have to wait. So long for now!
Remember: Be Excellent to Each Other! &
Learning is like rowing upstream,
not to advance is to fall back. Chinese Proverb
Mrs. Mac

No comments: